- 31-41 137th Street, Flushing, NY 11354, USA
The Lewis H. Latimer House, also called the Latimer House or the Lewis Latimer House, was constructed in the Queen Anne style of architecture between 1887 and 1889 by the Sexton family. It served as the home of the African-American inventor Lewis Howard Latimer from 1903 to 1928, and is now operated as a museum dedicated to the inventor’s work. In addition, this museum-house also illuminated the life and achievements of other black scientists. The house remained property of the Latimer family until 1963. Currently, the Lewis H. Latimer House is owned by the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, operated by the Lewis H. Latimer Fund, Inc., and is a member of the Historic House Trust. Those people who have worked on the house’s preservation efforts have insisted that the house be saved regardless of its lack of architectural value and alterations since the days of Lewis Latimer.