- 45 Park Place, New York, NY 10007
Capoeira Muçurumim focuses on the healing, martial, and dance aspects of Capoeira Angola and use Capoeira as a forum to bridge cultural gaps, combat community violence, and promote self-empowerment.
Programming includes basic movement, music (ie. playing instruments of the African diaspora) and singing. Because the majority of Capoeira songs are done in Portuguese, basic understanding of conversational Portuguese will also be taught. Participants will also learn the cultural context of Capoeira by presenting the history of Capoeira Angola’s origins.
The outcome of the Capoeira Angola workshop:
• Increase self-esteem
• Improve body image
• Improve impulse control
• Improve inter-personal relationships
• Increase cultural sensitivity
• Learn conflict resolution
• Improve anger management
• Help develop healthy body boundaries
• Help develop gross and fine motor skills
• Promote personal growth through self-reflection
• Learn basic self-defense
• Increase intuition and survival instinct